In 2005, an annual series of “Did You Know?”or “Shift Happens” videos began emerging on YouTube. Today, you can find them on a variety of topics; Social Media, Technology, Globalization …even one made by 2nd grade students. I remember the first time I saw one of these; it was the only time I paid attention in my microeconomics class. 😉
While watching Social Media Revolution (a fantastic video on Social Media by Erik Qualman), I stumbled upon a video entitled Did You Know? Human Capital Edition – 2009. I’m not sure if I agree with all the statements made, but it’s definitely worth a watch and some reflection.
Some interesting facts:
- 3 in 4 employees today prefer face to face communication; in 2020 that number will be 1 in 4
- Organizations today say that employees are their greatest asset. So why do they … Read email daily, pay bills monthly, check inventory quarterly and service machines half yearly, but check performance and engagement of their people only once a year?
- Human Capital practices have not caught up with financial management practices and are still tuned into the industrial age. And yet, human capital makes up for 77% of expenses.
- Today’s learner will have had 14 jobs by the age of 38; an average of 1.5 years per job and 2240 hours of onboarding
- Half of what a student learns in their first year is outdated by their third; that means learning agility is becoming the critical skill
What are your thoughts?