Happy Holidays! I want to wish everyone happiness during this holiday season and the very best for 2010!
The video above highlights 5 tips for college students during the holiday season; you can also read them below. But I know y’all want to see what I’m doing in a Buffalo Bills Santa hat … so watch the video!
5 Tips for College Students over the Holidays
It’s easy to fall into the relaxed mode of Holiday break … Sleeping in late, hanging out with friends – the list goes on. While you have a little free time, think about these 5 things.
- Spend an hour a day exploring tools like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Start connecting with professionals in your field or industry and thinking about the ways you can use these tools to help your career and develop a voice in your field.
- Think about internships! January starts a new budget for most companies, so do your research and position yourself – you just may find a paid internship. If not in January, start looking into companies or career paths you would like to explore when classes let out in May.
- It’s vacation – but keep yourself stimulated! Work part-time, babysit little munchkins … even going to the gym! Anything to keep yourself in some sort of routine. It will pay off in a few weeks when the structure of classes starts up again.
- Look for opportunity to build your resume while you have the time. You can participate in seminars or webinars, take a local course at the community college or even volunteer. These are all great ways to reach out into community and make yourself a more attractive candidate when the internship or job search begins.
- Finally (and the most important!) enjoy time with your family and friends. It’s the holiday season .. make it merry!
PS: There is a 6th tip. But you’ll have to watch the video 😉 Happy Holidays!